Wednesday 17 June 2020

Half Year round up

Greetings all

Long time, no blog it seems. And the reason for that is that I feel I've run out of words to say.....let me expand....

At the beginning of the year I set myself a book reading target of 60 books in 12 months. That's probably peanuts for most of you, but being a total book sloth in terms of reading speed, I though it was quite ambitious but fairly achievable.

Then COVID-19 happened

I found myself stuck at home, nowhere to go, nothing to do. I started this blog. So far, so good! 

Lockdown continued

I began buying more books and reading more books. My TBR list has grown exponentially over the last couple of months and I found myself going from an average one book a week to three. Most of them have been fantastic and I realised that I felt I'd run out of superlatives, adjectives, synonyms, metaphors etc. to be able to review and gush about how wonderful they have all been. It felt like I was saying the same thing every time, especially when I read so many other amazing reviews from more articulate bloggers than me.

Hence why I've not blogged for a while (oh, and also because the day job has been getting in the way a bit more too!)

So, what I thought I'd do, as we approach the half way stage of my book challenge, is bring you up to date on where I am and what I've read along with a brief "three words or less" summary of each book - then you'll realise why I've ground to a halt with reviews when you see my shockingly limited vocabulary!! 

Ok, so as it stands today, with my target of 60 books by the end of the year, I have read....

(Insert drum roll here.....)

37 Books!!! 😮

More than half way to my goal at the "not quite half way point". Pretty chuffed with that.

So....what have I read? In no particular order, thanks to the new Blogger interface which is, quite frankly, rubbish, here we go.......(and just a note....depending on how you're reading this - phone, tablet, computer etc - the comments might not match up with the cover pics, so have fun working out what goes where!!) Damn you Blogger interface!! 




         Life Affirming                    Chillingly Prescient              Violent Fun





     Superbly Shocking           Spooky Brilliance        Action Packed Madness


   
Authentically Historic Caper   Sadly Disappointing        Twisted Genius



         Empowering                      Superb Debut          Brilliant Dystopian Nightmare



    Twisted Thrill Ride               Aaah....Tilly!!               Gripping Page Turner



       Don't Judge Me!                  Just Excellent              Butt Clenching Thriller



Sick, Twisted Brilliance   Utterly Joyous Bonkersness     Intriguing Thriller



           Fantastic                   Totally Absorbing            Sheer Masterpiece



    Superb Collection         Original and Gripping           Just Loved It!  



             Glorious                        Riveting                        A Good Read



           Shocking                    Heart Warming                  Excellent Debut



Masterful Storytelling        Nail Bitingly Good            Another Page Turner 



Sick, Twisted Brilliance #2


So there you have it!


I feel I should explain myself with one of those selections...can you guess which??


Yes, Olivia Newton-John was my first boyhood crush, at the tender age of just six, singing "Take Me Home Country Roads" on Top of the Pops wearing Hot Pants (not me, Olivia). I was smitten and this was way before Grease with the skin tight pants.......!! She still is a crush to be fair. I still have a signed photo of her too. Stands to reason I had to buy her autobiography then surely? That's my excuse, my blog, my rules and I don't care!


Maybe you've read all of these, some of them, or have gained some ideas of what to read next -  except perhaps one?? 😀 


Either way, it's a been a pretty diverse and brilliant year of reading for me so far, and with an ever expanding TBR list, who knows what the next six months will bring?

Huge thanks to all of these authors who have helped me escape into other worlds and saved my sanity on many occasions. In this current strange and quite frankly depressing world we are living,  books have been an absolute godsend! 

As always, thanks for reading, stay safe, stay well.


Brian



No comments:

Post a Comment